the project

   
   
  • A view from the street brings Loewenstein’s design intentions into place, connecting the building to the landscape through the predominant horizontal emphasis of the structure, opening outside to in through glazed walls, and situating the building further to the rear of the site to emphasize privacy. [pll]
  • The service end of the public block of the house, parallel to the street, includes a carport, maid’s room, laundry room, and storage. By zoning this end of the house for service, Loewenstein leaves open the plan of the public spaces. [pll]
  • Overhanging eaves provide a sharp shadow line, emphasizing the horizontality of the building in the landscape. Where neighboring buildings conquer by height and external decoration, Loewenstein’s Modern structures settled horizontally into Irving Park. [pll]
  • The solar cell room, originally a screened porch, permits passive solar energy to be retained in the floor, radiating into the public rooms. The view framed to the front lawn links interior to exterior. [pll]
  • Sliding glass door separate what was an original screened porch (to the right in the photo) and the adjoining living room (to the left). Typical of Loewenstein’s designs, the screened room doubled the living space during temperate seasons of the year. [pll]
  • Built-ins and closets abound in the private wing of the house. Through their introduction, Loewenstein minimized the need for significant furnishings in bedrooms and related spaces. [pll]
  • Three-fingered grips permit the hand to access the built in storage units throughout the house. [pll]
  • The front entrance as originally designed. Note the tall brick wall to the left, later demolished following large tree removal and the conversion of the original screened room to all glass. [wli]
  • The floor plan shows clear organization along an L shaped plan, with the bedroom wing perpendicular to the public rooms. Large windows look out from both wings to the patio and rear yard. The wall to the left of the entrance removed ca. 1960. A connecting bathroom adjoins two bedrooms in one of the suites along this wing. [wli]
  • Loewenstein artfully wedges the structure in around significant, mature trees on site at County Club Drive, as indicated in this plot plan. Note the angled wall extending from the east side of the original screened porch, later removed (along with a dying tree) from the front of the house. [wli]

Wilbur + Martha Carter Residence
Greensboro (1950-51)

With the landscape virtually untouched, except for the footprint of the house, Loewenstein incorporated passive solar heating qualities into a 15’x50’ “solar cell” room on the south side of the structure, originally designed as a screened porch to capture southeasterly breezes and bring them to the adjoining living and dining rooms. In winter, the masonry floor absorbed heat during the day and radiated it out over the evening hours; in summer, eaves shield the interior from the sun. The L-shaped plan incorporates a public wing, parallel to the road, and a perpendicular wing of bedrooms. The landscape captured in the ell provides ample space for a large patio for outdoor living and protects the back yard from views to the street. A carport occupies the left end of the structure and provides a covered space for automobiles and also shelters the service entrance and wing to the house. The Carters worked closely with Loewenstein to develop the structure, eventually settling on the iteration inspired by a Modern painting. The house earned the Award of Merit with Special Commendation for the 1955 Honor Award from the North Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.

back to residential

modernism in greensboro
patrick lee lucas : school of interiors : university of kentucky : website designed by julie barghout