the project

   
   

modernism + greensboro

Modernism in the Piedmont had humbler beginnings than across the state – and though Loewenstein’s firm remained the dominant Modern design voice in town, several individuals and firms contributed Modern architecture to the Greensboro area. In 1944, Walter Gropius planned a factory on East Market Street with his trademark banded windows. Argentinian-born Eduardo Catalano designed the Greensboro-Guilford County Governmental Center (1973) and brought together elements from the Brutalist school of architecture. MIT- and Harvard-trained Edward Durrell Stone introduced Modern design work in Guilford County at the High Point City Hall (1975). Stone also designed Raleigh’s North Carolina Legislative Building (1963). The work of Ward Odell and his firm, Odell Associates of Charlotte, provides the final examples of Modern buildings in the community: The Burlington Industries Headquarters, located at Hobbs Road and Friendly Avenue (built 1971, demolished 2005) and the Wachovia Building (built 1966, re-skinned 2008) in downtown Greensboro.

international modernism
modernism in the u.s.
modernism in north carolina
modernism in greensboro

modernism in greensboro
patrick lee lucas : school of interiors : university of kentucky : website designed by julie barghout